Skip Main Navigation

Student Hourly Employment

Resources for International Students

a group of student workers smiling

While Federal Work Study cannot be awarded to international students, OJC provides funding to support a limited number of Student Hourly Employment opportunities in the International Relations Office to eligible international students. Additionally, international students who are eligible to work on-campus may apply to be Resident Assistants in campus housing or apply for positions with 

All student employment policy limits all student employment to 15 hours per week.

Employment Guidelines

Working on campus is a privilege, not a right. Therefore, those seeking on-campus employment must meet the following criteria:

  1. Students must have successfully completed one semester at OJC with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or better or two semesters with a minimum of 2.5 or better.
  2. If at mid-terms the student’s semester GPA has dropped below a 3.5 or 2.5 respectively, their permission to work will be revoked.
  3. Students awarded On-Campus Employment must maintain their employment in a satisfactory manner or their permission to work on-campus may be revoked. To “maintain employment” means to show-up to work as scheduled and perform duties as requested. If students must be late, are ill or must miss work, they are responsible for notifying their supervisor.

Positions and Hours Available

All students wanting to work on-campus will need to apply through the International Relations Office. Please note that there are a limited number of positions and funds available and therefore not everyone eligible to work may have the opportunity. 

International Student Work Application

Note: No student may begin work without getting the proper authorization.

Hours allocated: Student Hourly Employment hours will be awarded based on a student’s academic performance and class status:

Status Academic Performance Employment Hours
Second Semester Freshman 12 hours to 23 hours completed successfully with a minimum GPA of 3.0 50 hours per term
Sophomore 24 hours and over completed successfully with a minimum CGPA of 2.5 50 hours per term

Students must apply, interview and be granted a position. Please see the International Relations Office for opportunities available. If you do not have a social security card, you will need to apply and receive your card and complete paperwork for OJC before starting your job.

Note: Do not start working until you have been cleared by the human resources office!

Students Who Have Had Their Permission to Work Revoked

  • CGPA cause: Students who have had their permission to work revoked due to a decline in their CGPA can apply to have their permission reinstated once their CGPA improves to meet the criteria.
  • Failure to maintain employment cause: Students who have failed to maintain employment will have to wait until the following semester to re-apply for On-Campus Employment.