President Timothy A. Alvarez
This is a unique and challenging time for our country. At OJC, we are focused on your future and committed to your success.
To that end, we have developed a recovery plan that will provide students the opportunity to receive a rigorous and relevant educational experience. Our plan was designed around four Guiding Principles:
- First, do no harm
- The health and well-being of students/faculty/staff was made the top priority.
- All plans satisfy health, Colorado Department of Higher Education, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Otero County Public Health, and other accrediting body expectations.
- Diversity and Inclusion
- The plan was designed to meet the needs of our most vulnerable students.
- Data Informed
- This plan was created from data and feedback from all parties.
- It also will include success metrics where appropriate.
- Recovery plans were created by considering alternative ways to serve our students.
OJC is a student-focused, engaging, learning organization. We are committed to being an engine of social mobility by helping members of our community improve their quality of life. We offer a comprehensive array of experiences for students who want a traditional on-campus learning environment. Our success is linked to your success. To that end, we have high expectations for all our students and expect you to be committed to your academic success. I anticipate that you will be an active part of our campus, and in the community.
OJC offers the opportunity to complete a two-year associate degree and transfer on to a four-year university in pursuit of a bachelor's degree. Our Career and Technical Education certificate programs allow students to be workforce-ready within one-to-two years.
This is an exciting and unprecedented time to be at OJC. You will be challenged with the academic rigor of our programs and have opportunities to support our successful athletic programs and student organizations. I am delighted to be your president. As president I am here to serve you. I believe the staff at OJC will ensure you have a collegiate experience that allows you to discover your passions, while utilizing your strengths, and that will challenge your understanding of the world and how you might play a positive role in creating a more equitable and just society. Our goal is to prepare you for a future yet to be imagined.
I enjoy walking around campus to interact with students and staff. I look forward to seeing you on campus this year. I encourage you to stop in the President’s Office and grab some chocolate! I enjoy meeting and visiting with students.
Again, welcome to the Rattler Nation!
Timothy A. Alvarez, Ph.D.