To provide quality higher education that is accessible, transforms lives, expands employment opportunities, enriches our communities, promotes individual and global cultural diversity, and fosters economic development.
Otero Junior College will provide superior educational opportunities and be a valued partner with the communities we serve.
The special spirit of Otero Junior College celebrates learning as the process that changes and improves lives. By setting standards of excellence for ourselves, and by placing a high value on integrity, honesty, teamwork, communication and innovation, we assist students in realizing their greatest potential. We hold ourselves personally accountable for our stated values and the public trust placed in us.
Strategic Plan Priorities
Goal A: Student Success: Access, Retention And Completion
Provide accessible higher education opportunities that transform lives by expanding students’ engagement in learning, providing greater transfer options and paving the way for future employment opportunities.
- Increase the number of students completing developmental classes with a C or better the first time by 1.5% annually from 2015-2019.
- Improve assessment in order to obtain reliable, measurable data that can be used for continuous improvement of student retention, completion, and success.
- Achieve 80% student satisfaction in the advising process.
- Increase the total number of certificates and degrees awarded within 3 years by 2% per year by 2019.
- Improve employability rates among certificate and AAS degree graduates by 2% annually.
- Increase transfer rates of degree-seeking AA/AS students to 4-year institutions by 2% annually.
- Increase the number of students who have enrolled in concurrent credit classes who then enroll at OJC after graduation by 2% annually.
Goal B: Fiscal Stability And Human Resources
Maintain solid business practices and prudently manage state resources in support of mission fulfillment while continuing to seek additional resources.
- Meet or exceed the 6% operating reserve required by CCCS.
- Conduct the requisite outreach and recruitment efforts to ensure that annual OJC enrollment stays above the annual system FTE average.
- Develop strategies for aligning grant applications with the institutional strategic plan.
- Develop strategies for institutionalizing grant-funded programs and functions that align with the institutional plan and meet the evolving needs of the institution.
- Pursue additional revenue streams to support campus operations in line with the institutional mission.
- Support the professional development of faculty and staff as measured by funding provided and participation rates.
- Develop career opportunities for staff advancement and succession planning.
Goal C: Communication, Campus Culture And Diversity, And Community Engagement
This goal will foster effective communication campus-wide, create an environment which celebrates cultures and diversity and fosters a sense of community belonging, and support a healthy working environment and high employee and student satisfaction.
- Improve internal and external communications as measured by implementation of new strategies.
- Improve the visibility and awareness of OJC’s Mission.
- Keep website and social media current to communicate effectively with students and the community.
- Host events that bring together students, staff and community in order to foster communication, celebrate cultures, and build relationships.
- Foster mutual campus and community involvement and partnerships.
Goal D: Facilities Planning/Campus Environment/ Campus Safety And Security
This goal ensures that the campus’ physical environment (buildings, classrooms, offices, landscaping, etc.) provides access, supports the instructional process, and ensures a safe working environment that enables productivity.
- Maintain a 5-year physical plant master plan for campus in order to maintain safe and productive working and learning environments.
- Maintain food service options that meet the needs of students, faculty and staff measured by the satisfaction survey.
- Maintain recycling efforts on campus.
- Develop and implement a 5-year IT plan for campus in order to maintain working technological systems and devices and continue to be on the cutting edge of technology.
- Improve safety and security plans.
- Revise the comprehensive, campus-wide emergency communication plan.
- Upgrade the security measures on campus.
Goal E: Institutional Effectiveness
This goal expresses the need for accountability, data-driven decision-making, and outcomes assessment. It is essential that we can measure progress and achievement in meaningful ways, and that we can demonstrate impact and outcomes to our internal and external stakeholders.
- Strengthen the decision making process by utilizing all relevant sources of data.
- Maximize campus-wide awareness and understanding of institutional effectiveness.
- Analyze and prioritize current and future data needs.